2/21/12

The Pain in Healing

I remember as a child some hurt that as it began to heal began also to hurt and worry me with constant irritation.   My mother repeated sage advice: “You know it's healing when it begins to (itch, bother use, twitch, sting).”

So, as I recently broke my ankle and had some wonderful people pray for its speedy healing, I found myself remembering those wise words.  Especially, when the fracture occasionally stung just a bit.

Then I found myself wondering why in the process of healing is there pain?  In the natural and normal process this “pain” is considered just that and has been for centuries.

There are some who would claim a promised immediate and total free-from-pain type of healing as the result of some perceived blessing of God to those who enough faith. Yet, it is clear, some pain is not supposed to be masked or made invisible.

Pain has a purpose in life to remind us of several important truths.

1)          Pain is everywhere. We are not alone. We share and can empathize with others because we know pain. Let those suffering in accordance with God's will entrust themselves to a faithful Creator, while continuing to do good. (1 Peter 4:19)
2)          Pain is a reminder to us that we have frailties and are not super human. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. (2 Timothy 4:18) My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:9a)
3)          Pain is a reminder that we cannot have things our way all the time but we can know a God who will bring comfort. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:12a,13)

So often we ask for signs for assurances as big as a battleship in the sky!  Yet, often the sign is in the small things, the tiny things, like a twinge in a wound knitting itself whole or a sting in a bone weaving itself together.

“For everything there is a time” says the Bible and sometimes it is simply time to sit, think, and experience the miracle of the healing forces God gifted each of His creation with and as those forces work there will be pain, discomfort, and frustration.  These all can be used to work in you the processing, the refining, and the spiritual development that can make us stronger in our faith.

Only if we let it and only if we embrace and understand in the healing there is sometimes pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment